9:00 am - 12:00 pm
VIRTUAL: Building a Positive Community with Teens
Length of Training: Two-part series 3 hours each
Participants are REQUIRED TO ATTEND ALL TRAININGS in the series and complete assignments in between trainings.
02/02/2023 Building a Positive Community with Teens: Laying the Foundation Part 1
02/16/2023 Building a Positive Community with Teens: Meaningful Relationships Part 2
To learn, stay engaged, and develop as individuals, teens need a safe, predictable, joyful, and inclusive space where they can experience belonging, significance and emotional safety. They also need to feel comfortable taking risks and working with their peers. How can you create such a space for the teens you work with? This lively training series explores the environment in which you work with youth and provides strategies, fun group activities, and relationship-building meeting structures that will help you establish a community that promotes positive experiences for teens.
Please note: Only afterschool practitioners working with middle school, high school, or fifth grade elementary youth should register for this training.
Upon successful completion of this training series and follow-up assignment(s), the participant will earn 8 clock hours (.8 CEUs) of training.
Building a Positive Community with Teens: Laying the Foundation
- Discuss importance of belonging, significance, and emotional safety for youth.
- Outline methods involved in establishing a positive community.
- Utilize interactive learning structures and brain breaks that provide opportunities for youth to feel a sense of belonging and significance.
Building a Positive Community with Teens: Meaningful Relationships
- Explain the Responsive Advisory Meeting structure
- Practice developing Responsive Advisory Meetings as a way to help youth build positive relationships
Core Competencies Addressed
Core Knowledge Area – Learning Environment and Curriculum
3. C1: Build a sense of community and help youth and staff feel like part of a larger community – Level 3
3. C2: Guide youth in expressing their feelings and asserting themselves in positive ways – Level 3
PQA SEL Items Addressed
PBC PQA Scale – II-E Creating Safe Spaces
I.E.1: Foster positive emotional climate
I.E.2: Convey warmth and respect
I.E.3: Provide support for safe space
PBC PQA Scale – III-O Cultivating Empathy
III.O.1: Structure activity for sharing and listening