Middle School Foundational Series Part 2 – Building a Positive Community with Teens: Laying the Foundation
Please note: Only afterschool practitioners working with middle school youth should register for this training.
Please ensure your availability allows you to commit to all of the following dates before registering for the training series:
- 10/7/21 – Thursday – 9:00am-12:00pm – Middle School Foundational Series Part 1 – Engaging Teens
- 10/14/21 – Thursday – 9:00am-12:00pm – Middle School Foundational Series Part 2 – Building a Positive Community with Teens: Laying the Foundation
- 10/21/21 – Thursday – 9:00am-12:00pm – Middle School Foundational Series Part 3 – Building a Positive Community with Teens: Meaningful Structure
CEUs: Prime Time is authorized by IACET to offer 1.2 CEUs for the completion of this training series. Click here to learn more here.
In order to earn CEUs, participants must meet the following requirements: complete all assignments satisfactorily, attend all sessions of the training series, miss no more than 15 minutes of total training time, actively participate in the trainings with their video on and pass the post quiz with a score of 70% or higher.
In order to learn, stay engaged, and develop as individuals, teens need a safe, predictable, joyful and inclusive space where they can experience belonging, significance and emotional safety. They also need to feel comfortable taking risks and working with their peers.
In this three-part series, you will first learn how to engage middle school youth in a way that empowers and motivates them. We’ll explore the adolescent brain and discuss proven methods for developing engaging programs and activities that keep teens coming back.
Then, you will learn how to create a safe space for teens as they interact with you and with each other. We’ll examine strategies for building connection, fun group activities, and relationship-building meeting structures that will help you to establish a community that promotes positive experiences for teens.
- Describe the features of adolescent development.
- Identify the four pillars of effective teen engagement.
- Develop a project charter to help guide the process of improving teen engagement.
Building a Positive Community with Teens: Laying the Foundation
- Discuss importance of belonging, significance and emotional safety for youth.
- Outline methods involved in establishing a positive community.
- Utilize interactive learning structures and brain breaks that provide opportunities for youth to feel a sense of belonging and significance.
Building a Positive Community with Teens: Meaningful Structure
- Explain the Responsive Advisory Meeting structure
- Practice developing Responsive Advisory Meetings as a way to help youth build positive relationships
9:00 am - 12:00 pm