9:00 am - 11:00 am
Managing Emotions Coaching in OST – IN-PERSON
This session is designed to build practitioners’ knowledge of emotion coaching and develop skills they will incorporate into program activities that teach youth to identify and safely manage their emotional experiences. The purpose is to improve program quality by strengthening and supporting practitioners’ acknowledgement and reflection of their personal emotional landscapes and activations, while also increasing their ability to facilitate the cultivation of skills in the emotional domain of resiliency and life skills with young people.
- Understand the framework for resiliency and life skills generally, and where Emotion Coaching fits within the framework.
- Recognize the ways cultural and social factors impact the ways emotions are understood and interpreted.
- Practice skills that model empathy and encourage youth to accurately name and manage emotions.
- Identify best practices and plan for supporting emotion management and emotion coaching in youth programming.
Core Knowledge, Skills and Competencies Addressed (CKSCs):
Child/Youth Growth and Development
Identify – F. Identifies physical, cognitive, language and communication, social and emotional, and creative development benchmarks.
Apply – C. Communicates about physical, cognitive, language and communication, social and emotional, cultural and creative differences among children and youth.
Learning Environments and Curriculum
Physical, Social/Emotional, and Cognitive Development
Apply – B. Implements strategies to develop young people’s self-awareness, social awareness, self-management, relationship-building and responsible decision-making skills,
Relationships and Interactions with Children and Youth
Individual Child / Youth Guidance
- Provides a supportive environment in which children and youth can learn and practice pro-social behaviors.
Primary QIS Scales Addressed :
I. Safe Environment
I-E. Creating Safe Spaces: I-E-1. Foster positive climate, I-E-2. Convey warmth and respect, I-E-3. Provide support for safe space, I-E-6. Show active inclusion.
II. Supportive Environment
II-G. Emotion Coaching: II-G.1. Acknowledge emotions, II-G.2. Support young people to name emotions, II-G. 3. Discuss constructive handling, II-G. 4. Discuss emotion causes.
III. Interactive Environment
III-K. Sense of Belonging: III-K.1. Young people get to know each other, III-K.2. Inclusive relationships
III-N. Cultivating Empathy: III.N.2. Encourage understanding other’s emotions, III.N.4. Support valuing of differences.