9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Structure and Clear Limits, Ask-Listen-Encourage & Cooperative Learning
RECOMMENDED: The Progressive Afterschool Practitioner (PASP) training is recommended be taken one time before attending any training series. CLICK HERE to register for the PASP. Please ensure your availability allows you to commit to all of the following dates before registering for the training series:
- 9/4/20 – Friday – 9:00am-12:00pm – Structure & Clear Limits
- 9/18/20 – Friday – 9:00am-12:00pm – Ask-Listen-Encourage
- 10/2/20 – Friday – 9:00am-12:00pm – Cooperative Learning
CEUs: Prime Time is authorized by IACET to offer 1.2 CEUs for the completion of this training series. Click here to learn more here.
The Youth Development Foundation Series provides participants with knowledge and skills to build structured, safe spaces for youth where they can develop a sense of belonging through feeling supported and heard. Participants will learn the foundational skills to support youth to build new skills through participating in small groups and learning through active engagement.
Structure and Clear Limits
- Describe how Structure and Clear Limits meet the developmental needs of youth.
- Assess ways to improve their programs’ structure.
- Establish limits for their programs.
- Explain the concept of positive, purposeful interaction with youth.
- Name the characteristics of effective questions.
- Define the concept of active listening.
- Summarize the characteristics of effective positive responses to youth and their work.
- Define Cooperative Learning.
- Utilize a variety of group forming strategies (Group Formers) and group work structures (Group Structures).
- Explain through peer to peer and whole group discussion how Cooperative Learning helps to meet the social and intellectual needs of youth.
- Discuss how to apply four complementary strategies to engineer successful Cooperative Learning structures.