STEAM Series – 6
Encouraged: Completion of The Progressive Afterschool Practitioner (PASP) training is encouraged before attending any training series. CLICK HERE to register for the PASP.
Please ensure your availability allows you to commit to all of the following dates before registering for the training series:
- 10/6/20 – Tuesday – 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. – STEAM 1
- 10/20/20 – Tuesday – 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.– STEAM 2
- 11/4/20 – Wednesday – 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. – STEAM 3
- 11/17/20 – Tuesday – 6:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m. – STEAM 4
- 12/8/20 – Tuesday – 6:00 p.m.- 9:00 p.m. – STEAM 5
- 12/15/20 – Wednesday – 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m – STEAM 6
UPDATE: Training incentives will be issued to each participant after the successful completion of every training in the series.
Prime Time is authorized by IACET to offer 2.6 CEUs for the successful completion of this training series.
Click here to learn more here.
In the STEAM training series, participants will learn and practice engaging activities that explore the worlds of science, technology, engineering, arts and math. This series boosts practitioners’ confidence in science knowledge, demonstrates activities that link youth development strategies and intentional STEAM learning opportunities, and guides participants in implementing STEAM in their program that is easy and effective.
STEAM 1: Believe
- Recall why STEAM in afterschool programs is important
- Discuss the role of the afterschool STEAM practitioner in creating quality informal science experiences
- Identify youth development strategies that are infused in STEAM learning
STEAM 2: The 5E’s Instructional Method
- Identify the stages of the 5Es Instructional Method
- Write a lesson plan using the 5Es Instructional Method
- Utilize purposeful, open-ended questions when implementing STEAM activities
STEAM 3: The 5E’s Competencies & Communities of Practice
- Discuss STEAM-related stereotypes and the impact on youth
- Identify components of a Communities of Practice (CoP)
- Develop STEAM activities and lessons using the 5Es competencies
STEAM 4: Strengthening the Lesson Plans & STEAM Careers
- Compare innovative and unique STEAM-related careers
- Identify ways to strengthen lesson plans and infuse learning into STEAM activities
STEAM 5: STEAM Curriculum
- Describe and utilize established STEAM Curriculum options
- Create lessons that make STEAM learning both meaningful and fun
- Identify Prime Time Palm Beach County expanded learning opportunities (ELOs) as an additional STEAM resource
STEAM 6: Individualized Approach to STEAM
- Compare curriculum-based STEAM activities with individually researched STEAM activities
- Determine ways to overcome obstacles in a new or existing STEAM program
- Create a plan for sustaining STEAM efforts in their afterschool program
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm